How Long Does Windshield Replacement Take?
Providing up to 45% of the structural integrity to the cabin during a front-end collision and up to 60% during a roll over, your windshield is an imperative part of the safety of your vehicles. Replacing your windshield may feel like a draining task, but the friendly auto glass professionals at Aspen Auto Glass located in Canmore, Alberta, are here to help make your experience as stress free as possible.
As your windshield is such an important part of keeping you safe on the road, it’s important to know what kind of damage calls for replacement so you can have it taken care of as soon as possible.
- Damage that penetrates both layers of glass,
- Damage on the interior of the windshield,
- Damage that is in the driver’s line of sight,
- Damage that is over sensors or internal antennae
All of these require your windshield to be replaced.
Let’s look at the process of replacing your windshield and how long you can expect to be without your vehicle.
Prep, remove, replace: How windshields are replaced
Below you will find a quick rundown of what you can expect during the replacement of your windshield:
- After being pulled into the shop, a certified auto glass technician will prep your vehicle by covering the interior and exterior in a protective layer.
- Wipers are removed to ensure easy removal of the damaged windshield.
- The damaged windshield together with any remaining glue and debris are removed.
- Primer is applied to both the new glass and frame.
- A bonding adhesive is applied to ensure flawless adhesion.
- The new windshield is then installed into the vehicle.
- Certified tools and equipment are used to ensure proper installation of your new windshield.
- After 60 minutes of drying time to ensure the adhesive is properly set, your windshield is deep cleaned, returning it to its original appearance and your vehicle is safe to be driven on the highways again.
When performed by a certified technician, this entire process takes anywhere from 2.5 to 4 hours to complete for a standard glass windshield. However, windshields that fall into the Smart Windshield category may take longer as they often require recalibration to ensure the Smart Safety systems are all functioning properly.
Whether you need your windshield replaced,new glass in your side mirror, a replacement side window or a simple windshield chip repair, your Canmore windshield replacement experts at Aspen Auto Glass are ready to help you get safely back on the road.